Gary McDonald In 60 Seconds
Gary McDonald is a Finance Director with over 30 years’ experience, mainly in the retail sector but also in transport and distribution, waste management, full maintenance leasing, food product manufacturing and consulting. Gary has experience in turning around challenged businesses, finance functions and driving major cost savings. Gary empowers decision making through improving accessibility and reliability of management information, overcoming customer satisfaction issues, driving operational transformation, and implementing effective controls. Gary has many attributes of value for an organisation, including the ability to lead through his persuasiveness and positive attitude. Gary is naturally assertive and is motivated by challenging situations and likes a variety of challenging assignments. Gary is curious about the world around him and loves to travel with friends and family embracing new sites and experiences. In his free time loves to be outdoors, that can be hiking up a mountain or braaiing with friends and family under the stars in the bush.
Harvey's Furniture - Enhanced management information quality and consistency through improved weekly reporting and implemented a product profitability analysis.
Business Planning & Change Management
Steinhoff UK - Program Director for Customer Satisfaction Programme - Identified and dealt with the root causes of dissatisfied customers and introduced process and system improvements. Improved NPS scores for the business and reduced customer care costs by £7mil over 3 years. Achieved £3.5mil to date in 2020.
Profit improvement and Cost Savings
Responsible for the Steinhoff UK Retail goods not for resale cost saving program. Achieved £0.5mil savings in 2018 and a further £0.3mil in 2019. This included restructuring the company car fleet.
Governance & Compliance
Trustee of the Dean Close Foundation – Member for the Finance & General Purpose Committee – Chair of the Remuneration Committee - Chair of the Steinhoff UK Group Defined Contribution Pension Fund Governance Committee.
Harvey's - Restructured the Finance function to enhance governance and risk management, recruited to address skills gaps and increased reconciliation standard and frequency.
Track Record Highlights
- An experienced finance director bringing a diplomatic and involved approach, turning around challenged businesses, finance functions and driving major cost savings including businesses in distress.
- Joined The CFO Centre in October 2020 to provide freelance finance director services for SME businesses.
- Industry experience includes retail, transport & distribution, car fleet management, waste management, chemical manufacturing and consulting.
- Founder and director of a successful financial management consultancy.
- Finance Director for Avis Fleet Services, NCP Food Products division and Waste-Tech ltd.
- Various finance director roles in the Steinhoff UK Group – furniture & beds.
- BCOMM & BACC – University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg South Africa.
- Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales and the South African Institute for Chartered Accountants.
- Empowers decision making through improving accessibility and reliability of management information, overcoming customer satisfaction issues, driving operational transformation, implementing effective controls, enhancing audit functions, and ensuring robust corporate governance..
- Ability to lead through persuasiveness and positive attitude. Naturally assertiveness and desire to win, will result in adding value to an organisation's bottom line.
- Transport and distribution
- Waste Management
- Full maintenance Leasing
- Food Product Manufacturing
To find out how we can help you scale faster, increase cash, profit and valuation and build the business which enables you to fulfil your life's ambition, please book your 30 minute Discovery Call below...
What do you really want for your business and for you as an entrepreneur? Select the buttons that match your ambitions then...
Book your free Discovery call. Talk to a CFO and discover how to get what you really want from your business - and for you as an individual.