Bob Dana – Fractional CFO In 60 Seconds
Bob is a financial executive and fractional CFO, with over 30 years’ experience in both investment banking advisory and CFO roles. He is a trusted advisor to owner/entrepreneurs and CEOs for companies from $10 million to $10 billion. Bob is also a finance and IT team builder with a team of 40 in his last CFO role. As an investment banker for 16 years, he has extensive M&A and corporate finance experience across the industrial, transport, aerospace and technology sectors. Most recently he is a CEO himself at a R&D stage biotech instrumentation start-up in New Haven, Connecticut, his third start-up.
Bob has been a CFO at two companies with more than $400 million in annual revenue and more than 600 employees: Virgin America, a start-up airline based in Burlingame, California, and Unical Aviation, the world’s largest distributor of used components for Airbus and Boeing commercial aircraft, based in Los Angeles. In these roles, Bob has led capital raising, strategic procurement, financial reporting, budgets, FP&A, treasury operations, risk management and IT.
Bob’s passion is helping others to fulfil their full potential. He believes that the key to any finance team’s success is a strong culture of transparency, integrity and mutual support. He embeds teaching and mentoring into every aspect of his work.
To find out more about our fractional CFO, Bob Dana, take a look at his LinkedIn
Special focus on company formation, capital allocation, vertical integration/dis-integration, and synergy capture
An expert in enterprise valuation, preparations for strategic transactions, and financial consensus building.
Helping companies identify and leverage their key strategic assets and core competencies, and to focus top management resources where value creation opportunities are maximized.
Bob has designed a Finance team from a clean slate, recruiting top talent and building a culture of integrity and mutual support. He emphasizes skill development and 360 degree communication, and he believes a leader must support his team’s work-life balance to maximize productivity and instill loyalty
Strategic procurement can be one of the highest ROI activities of any financial executive; I led $1 billion in aircraft purchases and over $200 million in service contracts at Virgin America.
Track Record Highlights
- Highly experienced in strategy, growth and financing. Disciplined and energetic. Demonstrated ability to forge CEO and peer relationships
- Employee #1 and CFO of Virgin America, the most successful US airline start-up in 30 years. Wrote the first business plan and presented to Sir Richard Branson who greenlighted launch. Raised over $300 million in equity capital and $1.3 billion overall
- In a 13 year career at Credit Suisse First Boston, Bob rose to lead the North American transportation investment banking practice for five years, completing over $40 billion in total value of M&A and financing transactions.
- Led M&A transactions as both investment banker and CFO; in-depth understanding of preparation and process issues associated with complex strategic transactions and process management
- Diversified experience with large companies and startups, including major private equity backed companies and large family-owned businesses.
- Broad industry experience including transportation, aviation, industrial distribution, biotech and consumer technology.
- Excellent understanding of portfolio company reporting and strategic objectives of private equity and venture capital firms
- Deep experience building finance organizations from a clean slate. intense focus on cash flow and profitability forecasting, FP&A, and strategic procurement
- Mentored and coached more than ten financial executives who went on to become C-level executives and organization leaders
- Recruited by Piper Jaffray to launch a semiconductor and enterprise hardware investment banking practice. He built a team of five and after three years led Piper’s tech bankers in revenue despite the ongoing dot-com crash.
- Expert at developing equity value enhancement strategies and financial storytelling
- banking-financial-services: M&A advisory, public offerings, private equity, asset-based lending
- manufacturing-transport-logistics: Airlines, aerospace, aviation parts, aircraft finance
- technology-media-telecoms: Medical instrumentation, Viral Vector CDMO, semiconductors, enterprise hardware
To find out how we can help you scale faster, increase cash, profit and valuation and build the business which enables you to fulfil your life's ambition, please book your 30 minute Discovery Call below...
What do you really want for your business and for you as an entrepreneur? Select the buttons that match your ambitions then...
Book your free Discovery call. Talk to a CFO and discover how to get what you really want from your business - and for you as an individual.