Speaker: Leigh Preston, Managing Director, UK Landscapes
What would you like to say to your FD/CFO?
Leigh Preston: Hi, I’m Lee Preston, the Managing Director of UK Landscapes, and I’d just like to start off by sending out a massive thank you to Mary Turrell and the FD Centre. The efforts that Mary has put in across all areas of the business have quite simply been monumental.
What problems were you facing before we started working with you?
Leigh Preston: Prior to Mary starting with us, the business had just lost a key contract and our employed FD at the same time. It was clearly going to be quite some challenge for Mary to help us steady the ship.
What have been the benefits to the business specifically?
Leigh Preston: As soon as Mary came into the business, there was immediately a calming effect across the business. she not only drove the finance department but also supported other areas, in operations, business development and HR. This meant that we could review the business, we could create a plan for a successful future and deliver on that plan.
How has our support benefited you personally?
Leigh Preston: The benefits to me personally, have actually been huge because I’ve got somebody there that I can call 24/7, in Mary’s case, that I know is going to offer great advice and support, and it’s just meant that I can now enjoy growing my business and my personal life at the same time.
What is the number that really matters to you?
Leigh Preston: I suppose the numbers that matter to me are Pareto’s law, it’s the 80/20 rule. Prior to Mary coming, I was spending 80% of my time guarding, managing finance for the business, leaving 20%, and, and of course, that’s the wrong way round. So now I’m spending 20% of my time on finance and 80% investing into the main business.